- 1kg mince (beef or vegan)
- 250g fresh onion, finely chopped
- 25g fresh garlic, finely chopped
- 100g carrots, peeled and grated
- 100g celery, finely chopped
- 100g tablespoon tomato paste
- 250ml beef stock
- 50g Worcestershire sauce
- 125ml red wine
- 100g olive oil
- 1 tsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped
- 2kg floury potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 200ml milk (cow or almond)
- 25g butter or coconut oil
- 200g freshly cheese (diary or coconut)
** Replace potatoes with Sweet Potato, Gem Squash or Cauliflower for a low-carb option.
Fry the mince in of olive oil. Add the onion and garlic. Cook until soft. Increase heat and add carrot and celery and cook for a further 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste, stock Worcester sauce and red wine. Bring to boil and cook for 10 minutes. Reduce heat, cover and cook meat mixture at a gentle simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally until most of the liquid has evaporated. Stir through the chopped herbs.
Boil potatoes (or gem squash or cauliflower) in lightly salted water until tender. Drain and dry over the heat then mash. Beat in the milk and butter. Stir through the cheese.
Spoon mince mixture into two medium size ovenproof dishes, top with the potato mash and sprinkle with smoked paprika. Place in the oven and cook for 30 minutes until hot and bubbling.