Enjoy this keto friendly traditional British dish for any meal of the day! It’s fun to make and looks pretty neat, tool! This low carb Toad in the Hole is quick, easy and ridiculously tasty!
The recipe title Toad in the Hole comes from an amusing local legend from somewhere around the town of Alnmouth, in Northumberland. During a golf tournament, a golfer putted a ball into a hole where a large frog happened to be sleeping. The irate toad popped the ball out of the hole, peering angrily at the golfers. The chef at the hotel that hosted the tournament created a dish to commemorate this hilarious event by baking sausages in a batter that is supposed to look like toads peering out of golf holes.
On a more serious note this dish does come from a more traditional practice that was begun the 18th century where meat was added to a batter-based dish. This was a creative way to stretch out expensive protein and feed the family a filling meal at low cost. It’s a brilliant way to take lower cost cuts of meat (like sausage) and create an extravagant meal!
1 tablespoon olive oil for pan to brown sausages
FOR THE BATTER
- ¾ cup almond flour
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup almond milk
- ½ cup cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter for oven pan
- onion sliced
FOR THE GRAVY
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 red onion sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 sprigs of rosemary
- 6 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 °C.
- In a frying pan, heat the olive oil.
- Add the sausages and cook until browned.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, cream cheese, almond milk, almond flour.
- Blend the ingredients on medium-high for one minute.
- To the buttered oven-proof oven pan (or pan), add the batter. Place the sausages and any other optional add-ins to the batter.Bake for 30 minutes.
FOR THE GRAVY
- While the Toad in the Hole is baking, make the gravy!
- In the pan that browned the sausages, melt 2 tablespoons of butter, then add onions, garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Simmer until soft and tender.
- Add stock and balsamic vinegar and continue to cook.
- If the gravy is too thin, remove the lid and continue to cook at a low temperature until thickened.
Serve your delicious Toad in the Hole with a spoonful of the luscious gravy and enjoy!!